Friday, October 31, 2008

Lizzie's letter to Santa

We were in Longs the other day to pick up a prescription. And of course it took 40 MINUTES for them to fill it. We were forced to walk the aisles of the store to entertain ourselves. Me and 3 kids walking through a store. Super fun right? Uh-huh. They checked out all the Halloween stuff then moved over to the toys. Lizzie found several dollies, princess dollies no less, with YARN HAIR. That is her soothie. She loves to rub the yarn between her fingers as she sucks her thumb. She immediately knew that she HAD TO HAVE this doll. She asked if she could have it and I looked at the price tag. $15?! I'm sorry, but $15 for a "no reason" purchase is way over my limit. We are dollar store people here. Besides if I spend $15 on her then I'd have to spend $15 on the other 2 kids too. $45 + prescription costs was just not on my shopping list that day. She begged and begged for this doll. She turned on the tears and wailing. I wasn't going to budge. But I had to do something or the loud scene-causing crying wouldn't ever stop! I gave her 2 choices: 1. I suggested that we go home and write a letter to Santa asking him to bring it to her for Christmas or 2. She could have it for her birthday (a whole month after Christmas). Smart girl chose option #1. We finally got the prescription filled and were on our way. She talked about that dolly all the way home. She immediately went to the table and drew this picture. That's her self portrait on the left and the dolly on the right. She signed her name so Santa would know it was from her. Obviously I haven't mailed it yet, but we'll make a big deal out of it when we do. Every time we pass that store she reminds me, "Mommy, remember that dolly at that store?" And I reply, "Yes, I remember. Remember the letter you wrote to Santa? I bet he'll bring it to you for Christmas."

1 comment:

Laura Keith said...

I bet Santa will bring that doll for Christmas! Who could resist such a heart felt letter...