Saturday, November 1, 2008

It was the Bees Knees

Going to see this movie was one of the stops on my birthday scavenger hunt. Buffy, Michelle and her mama got to go along too (while Jeremy stayed at home and watched ALL THE KIDS!).

We read this book for our book club this year and I think everyone loved it. We were all ecstatic when we heard they were doing a movie. I have to say that it was so well done and having watched the credits after the show now I know why. Will Smith and his wife Jada were the producers - of course they'd never do anything but the best. The actors did an excellent job staying true to the characters in the book. The story was essentially the same too.

My favorite character in the book was Ms. August. My favorite character in the movie was Ms. June. Alicia Keys was the perfect choice for playing this sassy woman. Dakota Fanning will be a legend someday - she is so good.

Be prepared for the tears ladies, I got all choked up about 5 times! Fact: After you've read the book or seen the movie you'll have a revulsion for grits. One more side note: The only thing I was disappointed with was the "Daughters of Mary" hats. I wanted to see those outlandish things, but I guess there just isn't enough time to do it all...

Hands down this was the BEST movie I've seen in a long time. I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoyed this book, anyone who loves these fabulous actors and anyone that loves the 60's civil rights movement.

I give it 5 jars of honey out of 5!

3 comments:

kelly said...

I will read and watch!

Melody said...

I'm glad to hear that you liked the movie. I really liked the book. Now I wanna see the movie!

Maree said...

I just read and LOVED the book. Now I'm ready to go see the movie too.