The first place I saw the idea for this cake was at my friend Heather's blog. Then I saw it on Jacinda's. She linked to this lady's blog where you can find her directions for making a DIET RAINBOW CAKE. Now, I did not have diet ingredients to make our cake with so I just used the regular ingredients that go into a box cake mix. Ours was NOT a diet cake. I also decided that cupcakes would be equally fun and maybe easier? So here are the directions according to ME!:
1. Mix up your white or yellow cake mix according to package directions (I used yellow because that's all I had. That worked out good because I was also all out of yellow food coloring! The yellow cake mix acted as my "yellow" in the rainbow.)
2. Scoop about 1 cup of your prepared cake mix into 5 or 6 small bowls depending on how many colors you want your rainbow cake to be. Then stir in your food coloring. I used large amounts of the Betty Crocker Classic Gel Food Colors.I only mixed 5 colors. (Like I said earlier, I was all out of yellow food coloring so I had to omit the "orange" layer of cake also. Nobody in my house even noticed!)
3. Place cupcake papers in your cupcake pans and get ready to be messy! Begin with your red cake mix. Scoop one spoonful into each cupcake paper.
Then one spoonful of yellow on top of the red.
4. Bake according to package directions.
5. Frost with a dollop of Cool Whip (the cloud)
It looks so much prettier without the cupcake paper. And I also had some sliced strawberries to serve on the side to make it a Strawberry Shortcake Rainbow Cupcake. It was awesome.